Author Topic: Hobby Lobby going out of business?  (Read 6389 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hobby Lobby going out of business?
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:42:40 AM »
It's looking more and more likely...they have withdrawn all their advertising, have not paid many of their suppliers...it does not look good...

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hobby Lobby going out of business?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »
Notice Hobby King has all of Hobby Lobbys planes now?

3Dflyer

• View Profile
Hobby Lobby NOT going out of business.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
Who comes up with this stuff? Seriously? Admin, how about removing this lie from your website?

100% NOT true!

For a website called "rctruth.com" = FAIL.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/?gclid=CKX9ocG_z6sCFYEj7AodFyJ6TQ

AND how about not blocking my link above to the real www.hobby-lobby.com?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:02:00 AM by 3Dflyer »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »
You can link to whatever you want.
Sorry, but the truth is out there...too many suppliers have reported having problems getting paid by Hobby Lobby, and they have lost most of their exclusive lines.
The owner is trying to sell the company.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:38:18 AM »
Hobby Lobby does not advertise any more, not in the magazines, and they dropped their banner ad on top of RCgroups.
They also have failed to show up at all but a very few events this year, and dropped their sponsorship of almost all events.
Again, no more exclusive planes from Hobby Lobby...anything they have, you can get elsewhere for less.
And no more quality stuff, either...it's all cheap Chinese junk like Merit RC, real toy-grade crap.  At least you can get the same for less from Hobby King.
Of course, they are going to deny they are going down the tubes, until it actually happens.
But don't kid yourselves, it's a sinking ship.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
Hobby Lobby IS for sale, Hobby King would never buy them, that's absurd.

Easytiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516814

I won't comment on Hobby Lobby, except to say that I can't think of any good reason why Hobby King would buy them.

I will comment on this...Animus Cracker, aka Gman2, read this thread here on RCtruth, then rewrote it to read:

"Hobby Lobby was bought by Hobby King."

I find it very, very hard to believe you read the above posts, and misinterpreted them.

Instead, what you did was start a complete bullshit rumor.  Why did you do that?
Tell me, why did you lie like that?  To hurt Hobby Lobby?  To hurt RCtruth?
What was your point to doing that?

arbilab

• I can't help it, I'm Irish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 11:32:11 PM »
My first 2 buys (plus a bunch of parts) were from Hobby Lobby.  At the time their support was better than Horizon.  People actually answered the phones and knew stuff, and were personable besides.  I wrote down their names and their specialties.

But shortly, HL was 'acquired' by some corporate acquirer.  Toss the list of the phone guys, they all got laid off.  The phone often didn't answer.  I quit calling.

It is most definitely not the company it was, the one with the peerless reputation.  But it's not (yet) out of business.  I'm still on their email list and got something from them just today.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »
Yes, but they won't be around for long.  You can buy the same planes from Hobby King for half the price, and get the same bad service.  The owner, Mark Cleveland, has been trying to dump the company for a while now.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
"TMO

They just changed hands about 2 years ago...maybe an echo rumor? Their leaseholder bought out the original ownership so he was new to this business. If true he found out pretty quickly how tough this business is.

Hate for it to be true but.....

I wouldn't mind some of their exclusives getting in the hands of better distribution though. Alfa, Graupner, Aeronaut, Robbe to name a few. I loved HL...until I got in the business. I understand they're focused on retail, not distribution, but when you are the US exclusive distribution agent for so many really good manufacturers you could make it A LOT easier to have guys like me carry/promote your product.

One of those bigger slice of the pie vs. a bigger pie case studies...A bigger pie is always the winner- just ask Horizon. "

In case you have not noticed, they already lost the exclusive to just about all their product lines, including Graupner, Alfa, Robbe...and the Chinese foamies.  You can get the same foamies now from Hobby King.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 10:38:13 AM »
Something else I noticed last night while visiting the RCG site: when you click on the Hobby King podcast at the top of the RCG home screen, it loads an audio file of Graham interviewing a Hobby Lobby guy. Why would Hobby King 'promote' Hobby Lobby, or am I getting the wrong idea from the podcast. Didn't listen to much of it, too boring. 

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
The sad thing is that someday a book will be written about this, which will be the encyclopedia of how to fail a good hobby business.
Besides doing a number of deceptive things that Mike Hines would never have done, which drew a number of complaints, they failed in other major areas.  I think they have no idea how much the customer complaints hurt them, which NEVER occurred when Mike Hines ran the place.  I read the complaints, and saw the things that occurred, after he left.  I  think business owners don't seem to understand how upset modelers get, when they see their friends involved in an unethical transaction.  We consider it as if it happened to us, as it could have been.  For that reason, every poor treatment of a customer is like 30,000 events.  At one point, the concept of accurately representing stock, versus "buy now" on everything on the site, was brought up often.  They would beat around the bush, NEVER giving anyone a straight answer to their question.  Think this stuff doesn't matter?  Well I think they finally realized it did, but it displayed an attitude which people did notice.  I hope nobody from there becomes upset at these comments, because they represent sound advice and not rants.  The businesses that heed these comments as good advice, do not have them surface.

Another main failure of many businesses, touched on previously in this thread, seems to be a proprietary attitude.  At one point, they had the opportunity to become the first major distributor of a few good and reasonably priced Chinese lines.  I think they were looking for highest margins and margin percentages, without considering the entire ball game.  A few other distributors picked up on the Dynam (I believe good Jeti design copies) and Pentium speed controls.  People tend to stay loyal to the business that first became the large distributor of a product line.  Hobby Lobby was still trying to push their own special lines, like Atlas Black ESCs, and at a higher price and with no stand alone/above the competition reputation that I know of.  Other product lines tell the same story.  Like 'em or not, Raiden was smart in finding a good lipo supplier Gens Ace, at a good price.  HL just couldn't have been that smart.  I would imagine Raiden makes both small margins and small percentages from Gens Ace, but it encourages people to PLACE THE REST OF THEIR ORDERS THERE.  It's called formulating a winning product line, which HL has been clueless at in recent years.

At this point in the market, I have to find proprietaries like e-rc to just be irrelevant, whether any good or not.  Giving them to the RCG reviewers will not do the trick.  I've had too much success with lower priced Pentium and Dynam, let alone similarly priced TBird ESCs, than to even consider bothering with e-rc.  The same pretty much goes for motors.  Just too late in the game to launch proprietary product lines, with no outstanding quality or prices that I am aware of.

As for the unknown poster here, I will say that I have found rumors to be at least as accurate, as the comments made by rc companies, in the past.  Can't take their word at face value.

Who comes up with this stuff? Seriously? Admin, how about removing this lie from your website?

100% NOT true!

For a website called "rctruth.com" = FAIL.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/?gclid=CKX9ocG_z6sCFYEj7AodFyJ6TQ

AND how about not blocking my link above to the real www.hobby-lobby.com?
I saw all those characters after your link, and was afraid to touch it.  I would have blocked it also.  Anything other than hobbylobby.com looks suspicious.

In a way I'm sorry to hear that.....
I actually am too.  Businesses seem to get the impression that people are only bashing them.   I think it is sad to watch a business go downhill, along with seeing customer issues surface that hadn't in past years.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:36:28 PM by BillG »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
Chuck the Schmuck NoFlyZone posted:
"NoFlyZone
Chuck

Oh my!

It seems like the owner of RCTruth was caught trying to smear Hobby Lobby, and doctored some posts to 'prove' his point! As well as blocking valid links to Hobby Lobby."

Sorry, chuck.  The link works fine, goes to Hobby Lobby's homepage.  Nobody doctored any post, if it was edited, it was edited by that representative of Hobby Lobby, you can see it right there, he did it himself.  And you can click on the link if you want and visit Hobby Lobby's page.
You can read for yourself all the customer experiences from recent years about Hobby Lobby.  They have nothing to offer anymore, and are going down the tubes.  And yes, the new owner, Mark Cleveland, has been trying to sell the company for a long time now. 

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27:24 AM »
Let me get this straight:
I believe I read elsewhere that the IP of the thread poster who chimed in here for Hobby Lobby, is the same as another poster on the forum?

This is really unfair to Hobby Lobby to do this, and not reveal something about your identity.
The 3DFlyer screen name with only 1 post, along with the post content and link posted, would cause a person to think that the post was from Jason Cole of Hobby Lobby.  I'm almost certain that Jason would not appreciate the posting, under the circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:29:07 AM by BillG »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 07:50:03 AM »
Let me get this straight:
I believe I read elsewhere that the IP of the thread poster who chimed in here for Hobby Lobby, is the same as another poster on the forum?

This is really unfair to Hobby Lobby to do this, and not reveal something about your identity.
The 3DFlyer screen name with only 1 post, along with the post content and link posted, would cause a person to think that the post was from Jason Cole of Hobby Lobby.  I'm almost certain that Jason would not appreciate the posting, under the circumstances.

No, I don't see the IP for 3d flyer being the same as anyone else's.  I do not know if 3dflyer is jason Cole or not, and if it was or not, I would respect his privacy either way and could not tell you, sorry.  There is nothing wrong with what he posted, it's called a dissenting viewpoint, and we do allow it here, in spite of the RCgroups guys saying otherwise.  Not much fun to be on a site if everybody says just the same things.
By the way, nobody has said this, but your posts, BillG, are great, and appreciated and valued by others.